Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Mermaid Parade


The Mermaid Parade in Coney Island is an annual event. I hadn't heard of it before this week, but it's a pretty big deal and a lot of fun. The theme is loosely aquatic-based, mixed with the burlesque and freak-show themes of Coney Island. My camera ran out of batteries (doh!) before I got to take some pictures of the beach area, where you could hardly see any sand because there were so many people.

These ladies had a nice dance routine going on. These grocery carts, which here I believe symbolize crab traps or something, are really common in the city. I actually own one, and use it to haul laundry and/or groceries to and fro.

I had to get a shot of the buttless chaps.

Ummm... outer space mermaids?

Burlesque Mermaid Woman and Fish-head Marching Band!

This swamp thing was just walking down the street. Not sure if he was "dressed-up" or not.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Team Zissou representing.

Here's me in front of the famous Coney Island Cyclone roller coaster. I still haven't ridden it yet. Maybe after the next Cyclones baseball game.

Pink cyclists? Check.

Another cool float that I have no idea what to make of. Is it a submarine? spaceship? rickshaw?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home